36 best practices of Research and Development on strategy and portfolio management
Pyramidal structure of 2 areas and 8 sub-areas, giving both a detailed and a consolidated view
Best practices are organised within the Wevalgo R&D strategy and portfolio management framework
Strategy and roadmaps
- Innovation strategy: how is the strategy defined and with what level of detail? What are the objectives and plans for implementation?
- Technology and customer roadmaps: how are customer needs and new technologies anticipated and formalized in roadmaps? Are its roadmaps shared and made consistent?
- Standardisation and modularity: how are the different systems, components or parts standardised in order to reduce development times and costs (R&D of manufactured products or project engineering)?
- Standardisation of methods: how scientific methods (characterisation, formulation...) are standardised (scientific R&D; biology, chemistry...)?
- Portfolio of ideas and projects: how are the different projects prioritized at each stage (idea, feasibility, project...)
- Ideation process: how are new ideas stimulated and managed?
- Intellectual property: how does R&D protect its inventions and monitor the patent market?
- Product portfolio: how the life cycle of products already on the market is analysed and used as an input for R&D?
Example of usage for evaluation
Perform a detailed evaluation of your R&D focused on strategy and portfolio management to:
- precisely understand Innovation strategy and portfolio management strengths and weaknesses through quantified data allowing internal and even external comparisons
- define new ways of working, trainings, or other improvement actions
- define targeted areas to monitor closely
- easily compare improvements and progress at different points in time
The best practices are accessible directly after purchase. In case of usage to evaluate the practices the following steps apply
- The service manager* can directly carry out an evaluation by answering the questionnaire (optional); steps 2 to 4 are optional depending on whether he/she wishes to invite other participants to carry out the evaluation
- If he/she wishes to invite other participants to conduct the evaluation, he/she proceeds to steps 2 to 5
- Otherwise he/she goes directly to step 5 of viewing the results
- He/she can still do his evaluation after the participants if he did not do it at the beginning
- Customisation of the service to the organisation by the service manager*
- Service name, title and introduction for the participants invited
- Selection of participants to the service
- Definition of dimension to enable analysis by organisation dimension (optional)
- Selection of anonymity option
- Sending of an invitation link to the selected participants
- Evaluations performed by selected participants, on the Wevalgo web platform
- Participants connect to Wevalgo web site thanks to the link sent by the service manager
- Participants answer on-line
- The service manager can follow up the answers progress status
- Results available at the end of evaluations on the Wevalgo website
* The service manager is the person who purchased the service.
Recommended participants for an evaluation
For the evaluation we recommend the following participants:
- Research and Development manager
- A few technical area and project managers
- A selection of sales and marketing managers
- Intellectual property manager
- In case of several geographical sites, a selection of site top manager and technical area managers, enabling to compare the practices between the different sites.
In order to use the services, the technical environment must comply with the requirements below.
- Chrome: 62 and above
- Internet Explorer: 11 and above
- Safari: 10 and above
- Firefox: 45 and above
- Opera: 42 and above
- desktop or laptop usage, no mobile version
- Firewall authorising Wevalgo website
If you choose to use other browsers or settings other than the ones listed here, the site's pages may not display properly, and you may encounter problems that Customer Service may not be able to resolve.
These technical requirements apply to all the participants of the service.
Get instant and full access to reports as soon as evaluations are completed.
Gain multi-level analysis on several axis that can be explored in varied depths and dimensions through a user friendly results menu. A few samples of the results report are shown below
Visualise the performance and their drivers at a glance across all categories and sub-categories
Results by organisational dimension
Compare performance across your own, relevant and entirely customisable organisational dimensions. For example by geographical locations, departments, hierarchical levels or any other you see fit. Zoom in to breakdowns by category, subcategory and/or question
Results by evaluator and category
You can see detailed results to better understand the causes of your organisation performance
Wevalgo excellence model Results
Get valuable insight into areas and axes of progress thanks to our embedded Wevalgo model. Other analytical models may be incorporated, see key concepts for more information)
To see a full example of report result, click here
We have expert consultants on hand to build their own evaluations, assist you and interpret your results. Select the Expert Review option on the purchase menu.